[WEB4LIB] Re: flash image on our home page

Gimon, Charles A cagimon at mplib.org
Thu Jul 5 09:38:21 EDT 2001

Just to throw another couple of things on the pile:

--Flash is yet another thingy that will pester your website visitors for an
upgrade every x number of months.

--The beauty of the web, and one of the things that's made it a success, is
that all you really need to purchase to get online is hardware and
connectivity. You don't need to be beholden to a software vendor. Flash
breaks that model, and for that reason alone I personally don't like it.

--Doing navigation in Flash is a pretty good guarantee that your site will
not be indexed by robots.

--On the web page that started this discussion, the Flash version is not
terribly different in looks or function that the non-flash version that's
offered as an alternative. I don't see a reason to pay for software licenses
and labor time to maintain a second version of my site that offers no added
value compared to the non-flash version.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library