[WEB4LIB] Linking Arms, Arming LINKs

Peter C. Gorman pgorman at library.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:44:18 EDT 2001

At 8:18 AM -0700 7/5/01, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>I invite other webmasters to do the same, and to ask vendors if they
>plan to follow this HTML standard for navigation.  The worst that can
>happen is that you spend an afternoon reacquainting yourself with how
>your pages are laid out.  The possible benefit is a boost to your
>site's usability for users with supporting browsers and the beginnings
>of an additional way to think about page navigation.

Call me an idealist, but I've been using simple <link>s in HTML-based
text projects for some time, knowing (OK, hoping) support would
eventually come along. If nothing else, it can encode enough
information about a site's structure to assist reprocessing into some
other format, automatic generation of site maps, etc. A couple of
examples can be seen at <http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/Jonas/>
and <http://parenthood.library.wisc.edu/>. The interior pages have
more <link>s than the home pages.

--
Peter C. Gorman
pgorman at library.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291

He commanded the Fidlers to be thrust out of his Seraglio, upon a
mis-apprehension that they were playing, when they were but tuning.
- R. Boyle, _Occasional Reflections_ (1665)