(Update Week 18) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Jul 5 10:07:49 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 18

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

7/5/01

Hello from Washington D.C.
I hope your Summer is off to a great start. Another week of useful and
interesting material on the weblog site.
Here are a few of the highlights.

The Usual:
This email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you will find on the page.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

If you have questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------
Weekly Highlights #18
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
----
----
Thursday, July 5, 2001
Business-Worldwide--Lists and Rankings
Source: Business Week
Business Week Global 1000
Companies ranked by market capitalization from 21 countries.
Direct to Interactive List
Direct to Complete List (.pdf)
Direct to Complete List, by country(.pdf)

----
Wednesday, July 4, 2001
Future Events--Database
Web Calendars
New Service From Reuters: Kalends
This link takes you to the free consumer oriented Kalends.Com site
(searachable) that features, general interest, business, holidays, and trade
show events set to occur in the U.K. and elsewhere. I did note some U.S.
material. Reuters is also marketing several fee-based Kalends products to the
enterprise market. From the news release, "KALENDS has content agreements with
a number of niche event information suppliers including FENS (political
dates); TSNN (worldwide conferences information); NetEarnings (US company
results); Dynamic Listings (UK entertainment events); and Whereonearth
(providing geolocation information to pinpoint event locations)."
>From a netimperative.com story, "The service makes use of more than 160 bureau
diaries operated by Reuters about the world and includes information penned by
the company’s journalists to provide up-to-the-minute details on its data
service."
See Also: WhatsOnWhen.Com
----

Tuesday, July 3, 2001
[7/3/2001 12:02:28 AM | g price]
Web Search--FirstGov
Source: Federal Computer Week
New Search Technology On the Way For FirstGov
Let's all hope they make a good choice. FirstGov as a keyword search tool has
never lived up to the hype. From the article, "FirstGov has begun searching
for a new search engine. General Services Administration officials, who run
the governmentwide portal, are asking industry leaders, vendors and
researchers to suggest "search service solutions" to power FirstGov in 2003
and perhaps earlier...Requirments include the GSA asking for an engine "that
can crawl and index "unstructured government databases," such as large
databases of geographic or numeric information that are expected to become
accessible via the Internet". Some of this material currently resides on the
Invisible Web.
See Also: Read FirstGov's RFI from the Commerce Business Daily
----

Monday, June 2, 2001
Reference Tools--Encyclopedias
Source: Crain's Chicago Business
Meet the New CEO of Encyclopaedia Britannica, Ilan Yeshua
>From the article, "As a first step [in returning the company to profitabilty],
Mr. Yeshua is overhauling the print set, the company's core business since
1768. This November, Britannica will release its first updated edition since
1998. And the firm plans to further beef up its publishing effort with a
series of one- and two-volume reference books.

Information Industry--ProQuest
Digitization Projects
Source: Chronicle of Higher Education
"A Project Seeks to Digitize Thousands of Early English Texts"
>From the article, "Academic libraries are working with a major corporate
partner, ProQuest Information and Learning, to create digital editions of
25,000 early English texts. A new database will hold fully searchable versions
of works by Bacon, Galileo, Newton, and others, produced from 1475 to 1700."
Web Databases--PubScience
Invisible Web
Source: Chronicle of Higher Education
More on the Possible Elimination of PubScience
Lead of Story, "A Web site operated by the U.S. Energy Department that allows
scientists to search journals for citations and abstracts in the physical
sciences is in jeopardy because of a bill approved on Wednesday by the House
of Representatives. The bill is accompanied by a report that recommends
eliminating the service."
See Also: "Current Science Group, Elsevier Science Offer New Science Services"
(via InfoToday)

----
Sunday, July 1, 2001
Salary Survey--Internet Related Jobs
Internet World Salary Survey 2001

----
Saturday, June 30, 2001
Small Business--U.S.--Lists and Rankings
Source: Fortune Small Business
The FSB 100
>From the article, "...America's fastest-growing small public companies, based
on revenue growth, earnings growth and stock return."
Direct to the FSB 100 List

Archives--U.K.
Invisible Web
Archives Hub
>From the site, "The Archives Hub provides a single point of access to
descriptions of archives held in UK universities and colleges. At present
these are primarily at collection-level, although where possible they are
linked to complete catalogue descriptions."

Friday, June 29, 2001
Web Search--Google
Source: Financial Review
Google Grows in Popularity with Australian Searchers

Full-Text Document Shelf (2 Items)
2 New Reports from the U.S. Census
America's Families and Living Arrangements: March 2000.
Summary ||| Direct to Full-Text Document
-
The Asian and Pacific Islander Population in the United States: March 2000
Summary ||| Direct to Full-Text Document

Canadian Resource Shelf
Source: Health Canada
New Edition: 2001 Seniors Guide to Federal Programs and Services

----
Thursday June 28, 2001

Criminal Justice--United States
Updated Resource: Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics Online The
Sourcebook now includes spreadsheet versions (.xls) of most tables.
Direct to a List of Tables and Figures

Canadian Resource Shelf
Wealth--Lists and Rankings
Source: National Post Business
40 Richest Canadians Under 40

Education--Academic Freedom
New Web Resource: NEAR (Network For Education and Academic Rights)
This organization was just launched. It’s sponsored by UNESCO. The site
features background on the organization, alerts about recent incidents, and
links to related resources.

---
This email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you will find on the page.

Weekly Highlights #18
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu