[WEB4LIB] Re: flash image on our home page

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jul 5 08:53:18 EDT 2001

> Flash is good for games, situations where animation is mandatory, and
> presentations to small children, but should be exorcised from
> situations where textual methods are adequate. This means libraries
> (except maybe for children's libraries).

Having sat with my daughter, several times, through the interminable-at-56k
Flash animations on the Harry Potter web site, I'd have to say that even a
very motivated child will find his or her attention span tried by poorly
constructed Flash sites.  Even if children's libraries need more bells 'n'
whistles that other types, they have to keep their eyes on load times.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu