[WEB4LIB] Re: Column on HTML Editors - still using vi/emacs/pico

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Mon Jul 9 12:15:19 EDT 2001

> Nope -- I still do almost everything in emacs, vi when I have to. I
> avoid pico like the plague because it breaks lines, often leading to
> death and despair. (Our computing dept. once sent in a student to
> edit the footer on my pages; using pico broke the lines in some
> important places killing some of the server-side includes. it was
> ugly and widespread.)

'pico -w' will turn off line wrapping.

I have pico aliased to 'pico -z -w -b' on our unix machines. -z enables
Ctrl-Z suspension as you would expect on a unix machine, -w disables
word-wrap and -b enables the search/replace feature.  All 3 make Pico much
more usefull.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Education & Research Technology Services,     http://gollum.usask.ca/