[WEB4LIB] Column on HTML Editors

Beth Mazin bmazin at mhl.org
Mon Jul 9 10:04:58 EDT 2001

OK, I'm going to be honest here and get slammed but here goes ...

We use FrontPage2000. No one is forcing us to. We're just using it. It's
bundled with the Office2000 Professional Suite/Academic which costs us $55
-- can't beat that.  At that price, it's on everyone's desktop.  We're a
small to medium sized public library (about 30 FTEs) that is trying to
produce a web site with a lot of info -- if the page displays OK in
Netscape and IE, that's what we care about... if the coding is kludgy, so
be it. I try not to look at the code unless something is wrong with the
display; then I'll look at the code, figure out what's wrong and change it.
Please don't go to my site and look at the code and tell me it sucks -- I'm
sure it does.  But I just don't have the time or personality to hand code
everything, or use a validator, or spend time looking for missing end
tags.  I prefer to spend what time I have putting up good content that is
decently organized, clearly presented,  and useful to my patrons.

With this devil-may-care, cheap attitude we are preparing to have several
of our librarians take over parts of the page, so we can put up even more
content.  It will be easy to teach the librarians FrontPage.  FrontPage
site management features are impressive and intuitive.  The built in
components (form handlers, date stamp, search, reports) are great for
novices.  I know most we4libbers hate FrontPage, but it meets our needs and
I would recommend it highly to smaller libraries that need an inexpensive
and relatively easy way to maintain a web site and create web pages.

Beth Mazin
Assistant Director
Memorial Hall Library
Elm Square