[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Jul 30 12:41:51 EDT 2001

Dan Lester wrote:

> Even more important, the changes happening now aren't earth shaking.
> Going from a 286 to a 386 was a big deal.  Going from a 600 mhz box to
> 1.4ghz box doesn't mean much to the vast majority of people.  The
> bottlenecks are still bandwidth and typing speed for 99.5 percent of
> desktop applications.

    Exactly. I read an article a while back about how many programs never ever take
full advantage of today's processors. This included a lot of popular games that one
would think would be cooking the processor all through the game. Now that you
mention it, if I could download things as fast as my processor works... ohhhhh what
a grand world it would be :)

Dan

--

Mondai wa