QoS Boilerplate

Donald Barclay dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
Mon Jan 29 10:28:40 EST 2001

I'm posting a query that was passed along to me. Though I don't have a ready
answer for this query, I see that answers to it would be of interest to the
members of this list. The question is:

We're planning to migrate a Web application from local (on-campus) servers
servers maintained by the application vendor at its site. One thing we're
concerned about is quality of service; specifically, server availability.

Can any of you suggest boilerplate language for us to have inserted in the
agreement that specifies service up-time and penalties for not achieving it?
* Can we pick a relevant availability for our situation- 95%, 99.0%, 99.9%,
99.99%, etc.?
* Do we define this availability over a time period?
Daily-weekly-monthly-quarterly? How?
* What are reasonable - or customary - penalties?

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-                         always the beautiful
answer
Texas Medical Center Library                         who asks a more
beautiful question
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu                                     --e.e. cummings
713-799-7120