[WEB4LIB] Re: Attachments are now stripped (RTF?)

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Jan 25 23:16:14 EST 2001

At 9:34 AM -0800 24/1/2001, Nolan, Chris wrote:
>My experience has been that
>formatting features may be ignored when viewed with a plain-text reader, but
>the document seems otherwise fine to read.  But I may be not seeing some
>real problems; what are they?

I use Eudora 5 which allows me to set what degree of formatting I am
prepared to accept for incoming mail. It gives me the option of
sending plain or formatted text of both. I only send plain text.

By tuning off the display of images in the mail I receive I lose -

	The loss of bandwidth caused by incoming images

	The ability to view advertisements I didn't ask for or want

	Being put into somebody's tracking database triggered by
	downloading the image

By taking out the more extreme formatting I lose -

	Increased need to scroll because of large text and extraneous spacing.

	Garish over emphasis on spam that gets through.

Most heavily formatted messages appear to be spam. I am considering
setting up a filter to trash such messages automatically on the
assumption that formatted messages are either spam or from somebody
who I would not wish to communicate with.

Tony

--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au