CD/DVD Server Purchase

Kenneth Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Thu Jan 25 20:32:39 EST 2001

>From: "David Glick" <dglick at semo.edu>
>
>I'm shopping for a CD/DVD Server and was wondering if anyone else out there
>had recently purchased one.

Our library has tested both the Axis StorPoint and Microtest DiscZerver
models. Both did a pretty good job, but we weren't able to make the
DiscZerver sufficiently secure for copyright purposes (I believe it was
missing a password protection option) -- I would note however that the
DiscZerver we saw was about a year ago. We saw the Axis more recently.
We've put the purchase on hold for the moment, but if we decide we need a
CD/DVD server, we'll probably go with the Axis. (An added bonus - our
campus network admin thought the Axis was a joy to work with;
straightforward instructions and easy configuration.)

With both models, we found that some discs just won't network nicely --
they're designed that way. Many discs that require the user to run a
setup.exe program won't work unless the disc in question is actually in the
D:\ drive or other local CD drive. This was a problem with both machines
(or rather, a problem not caused by the machines but just inherent to the
software).

I hope this helps,
Ken

Ken Irwin	                            		kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian	(937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University