[WEB4LIB] website usability testing administration questions

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:44:38 EST 2001

Just came across this in an e-newsletter. This is not library specific
but basic WEB usability concerns that can be applied to libraries.

" Summary
In their November Webmaster column, Danielle Anthony and Bryan Formidoni
explained Web usability, and encouraged Webmasters to consider the end
user through the entire Web development process. In this month's
installment, they continue with the same theme, demonstrating how to
deploy usability testing to ensure that visitors don't get frustrated,
leave your site, and never return. (1,400 words) "

http://www.unixinsider.com/unixinsideronline/swol-01-2001/swol-0112-webmaster-af.html

Thomas

Laura Hudson wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We're beginning some website usability testing (card sorting tests and then
> timing of question answering) here at the San Diego State University
> library in order to determine how to best arrange our website.  While I've
> been managing large websites for years, I haven't done this before, so I
> have of course read a bunch on the topic.  However, in our webteam
> meetings, questions such as the below come up and I don't have the answers:
>
> * When doing card sorting tests, how many content objects can we expect our
> subjects to be able to handle and what level of granularity is appropriate?
>
> * Are subjects, when card sorting, coming up with totally bizarre
> organizations, or are they generally what you'd expect, or somewhere in
> between?  Does anybody have examples of how they've arranged something
> differently due to card sorting tests?
>
> * Because library websites are diverse-audience sites, do you always test
> with all the potential groups of people (e.g. undergraduate students,
> graduate students, faculty, staff, librarians), or do you pick your main
> audience and run with that?
>
> * How are you coping when you don't have a budget (can't pay subjects or
> would have to hold a bake sale to do so) and are tightly staffed (don't
> have a lot of time or staff support for this)?  Or are most of you
> finagling budgets and finding time to slough off some of your other
> committees, meetings, and projects for the duration?
>
> * When conducting the actual usability tests, how many wire models do you
> construct, or do you start with one, improve, and then test again until you
> are happy with the results?
>
> * Do you videotape usability tests? If so, how do you analyze the
> tapes?  Did you find doing so useful?  Necessary?  Or do you think that the
> quantitative data (e.g. how long does it take them to answer the question)
> is more important?
>
> I know that a lot of you are getting into this fascinating area of
> research.  If any of you have a) answers to any or all of these questions
> b) war stories c) favorite resources and/or d) citations to your own web
> redesign process websites or articles, I would be terribly grateful.  I
> would also be delighted to compile answers for the list.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Laura Hudson
> Electronic Systems and Services Librarian
> San Diego State University
> lhudson at mail.sdsu.edu
> phone: 619-594-3521
> fax:  619-594-8982

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennetttm at appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine