[WEB4LIB] CD/DVD Server Purchase

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Jan 24 17:20:35 EST 2001

You may want to look at http://www.axis.com Axis Communications.  I am
having to put their Axis StorPoint in two of my CD Towers now because
There are no more updates to Merridian's CD Net software which is the
server/client software that won't run on W2K.  The StorPoint will
support 7/14 SCSI drives depending on which model you get.  The
StorPoint can cache whole CDs to HardDrive at a very high compression is
my understanding. The StorPoint works with multiple protocols SMB,
Netware (various versions), AppleTalk...

Here, never mind all that, I just copied the informative PDF file to

http://linux.library.appstate.edu/cdds.pdf

Thomas

David Glick wrote:

> I'm shopping for a CD/DVD Server and was wondering if anyone else out there
> had recently purchased one.  Most likely I will end up purchasing a jukebox
> with multiple drives or some sort of server where CD/DVD resources are
> copied to a harddrive and served up from there.
>
> A little background:  I just started this job a month ago and am trying to
> find a solution to network approximately 100 cd's with enormous potential
> for future growth.  This library has never had any servers of its own and I
> am trying to find a (cost-effective) solution.
>
> Any thoughts?  Recommendations on servers or companies?
>
> TIA
>
> David
>
> David Glick
> Head, Systems & Access Services
> Kent Library
> Southeast Missouri State University
> #1 University Plaza, MS 4600
> Cape Girardeau, MO  63701
> (573) 986-7498
> FAX (573) 651-2666
> dglick at semo.edu

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennetttm at appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine