Attachments are now stripped (RTF?)

Nolan, Chris CNolan at Trinity.edu
Wed Jan 24 12:21:12 EST 2001

The points on sending HTML are well-taken.  What about the Rich Text option
in MS Outlook; what problems does this cause?  My experience has been that
formatting features may be ignored when viewed with a plain-text reader, but
the document seems otherwise fine to read.  But I may be not seeing some
real problems; what are they?  Thanks.

Chris Nolan
Trinity University

-----Original Message-----
From: Diana Calder [mailto:dcalder at essex.county.library.on.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 10:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Attachments are now stripped

Wednesday, January 24, 2001, 10:01:34 AM, Thomas Dowling wrote:

TD> Just so everyone's clear on this, most (all?) e-mail program that
compose
TD> HTML e-mail (cough, cough, mumble, you call that HTML? mumble) create
TD> transmit two copies of each message, one in HTML and one in plaintext.
TD> The e-mail client that eventually reads this either shows the HTML and
TD> ignores the plain text, or shows one and calls the other an attachment.

I believe that AOL6 does not send a plaintext version, only an HTML
one, as does one other e-mail program (Calypso, I believe), though in
the case of Calypso I think that HTML can be turned off, while AOL6
has absolutely no ability to send as anything other than HTML.  This
subject has came up recently on two other e-mail lists that I
subscribe to, one of which pointed list members to this website

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1236/nomime.html

for instructions on configuring many popular mail clients to follow
e-mail standards and not automatically send out mail in other formats
for no good reason.

Diana Calder