[WEB4LIB] Seeking help with proxy settings in IE

Marsha Weeks mweeks at ci.glendora.ca.us
Tue Jan 23 18:57:12 EST 2001

Hi Adele,

Here are the instructions I followed from Michael Pate (Thanks, Michael!)
for our Gates computers, which seemed to be more picky about the way
addresses are entered compared to our regular NT PCs...

Marsha,
We have one station that we have restricted to InfoTrac and NetLibrary. To
do so, we set the value for the proxy servers to:
http=127.0.0.1:8080;https=127.0.0.1:8080;ftp=127.0.0.1:8080;gopher=127.0.0.1
:8080

And the values not restricted are:
*.galegroup.com;*.netlibrary.com;*.akamai.net
I intend to add some other locations over time but these are working for
now.

Michael Pate
Reference Librarian
Sebring Public Library
http://www.heartlineweb.org/hlc

At 03:40 PM 1/23/2001 -0800, Skau, Adele wrote:
>Someone a while ago posted this address:
><http://www.northville.lib.mi.us/tech/lockinie.htm> to set IE up so that it
>would only go to specific addresses, whether for their OPACs or for online
>services using a proxy, or "dummy" proxy server, and others have talked
>about their successes in doing so, but I seem to be having some problems
>doing this.
>I have stripped the address down to barest domain address and some will
>connect to the page I want, but when I click on a link within the page I get
>a "The page cannot be displayed" error message.
>Anyone out there willing to share their secrets? Any and all help will be
>truly appreciated!
>Thank you!
>Adele
>Adele M. Skau
>Library Technician
>Glendale Public Library
>Glendale, California
>(818) 548-2183
>askau at ci.glendale.ca.us <mailto:askau at ci.glendale.ca.us>

Marsha Weeks, Systems Librarian
Glendora Public Library
140 S. Glendora Ave.
Glendora, CA  91741
(626) 852-4891 Phone / (626) 852-4899 Fax