Live From DC Transcripts Up!

Steve Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 13:39:51 EST 2001

Just want to let you all know that the full transcripts from the Live From
DC online programs on virtual reference held during ALA are now up on the
LSSI Virtual Reference Web site at http://www.lssi.com/virtual/livefromdc.
Each program includes a verbatim transcription of everything that was said
during the session including the complete text of the presentation and all
questions and answers, plus the live links to the speakers slides and all
web pages pushed during the presentation.

Live From DC was a tremendous success.  Altogether more than 500 of you
participated in the 8 sessions, making them collectively one of the largest
and best attended programs at ALA, and even though you came in from all over
the world, nobody had to move a muscle to participate, all you had to do is
logon, listen and type ... if you wanted to.  We will certainly be planning
more of these programs in the future ... and in response to popular demand,
we are also considering making the software available for free to others of
you who want to put on your own online meetings at other library functions.
We just need to think through the logistics of this a little, and I'll let
you know as soon as we have that program ready to go.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank our wonderful
presenters (many of whom were 'chatting' for the first time, so forgive the
typos, ok) for some really terrific presentations ... and all of the rest of
you who logged on over the two days for sharing a little of your weekend
with us and helping to make these programs the success they were.

Thanks very much to one and all,

Steve Coffman

Steve Coffman
stevec at lssi.com

And just in case you missed it, here is a list of featured speakers and the
topics they covered.

10am EST Saturday, January 13th
The Alliance Library Project.  Mary-Carol Lindbloom.  Details on a major
collaborative reference project involving 14 academic libraries in Illinois.
This is the first collaborative reference project involving academic
libraries ... don't miss Mary-Carol's description of what they have planned.

12noon EST Saturday, January 13th
Marketing Virtual Reference Services.  Linda Wallace.  Linda and her
partner, Peggy Barber are working on the marketing plan for the Bay Area
Libraries project.  Linda will go over key issues and strategies you'll want
to think about in marketing online reference services.

2pm EST Saturday January 13th
The Bay Area Libraries Project.   Ronna Nemer and colleagues.   Ronna will
give you the nitty gritty of what is has been like getting the Bay Area
Libraries project a major collaborative reference project involving over 25
libraries off the ground in the San Francisco Bay Area.

4pm EST Saturday January 13th
Evaluating Virtual Reference Services.  Bernie Sloan.   Bernie has long been
involved in both email and live online reference, and he will be responsible
for evaluation the Alliance Library Project.  Bernie will discuss some of
the issues, methods and techniques he'll be looking at in trying to
determine how well this new approach to reference is working.

10am EST Sunday, January 14th
North Carolina State University's Virtual Reference Service.  Karen Ciccone.
NCSU already has one of the first 24 hour reference desks in the country
(perhaps the world) and Karen will be explaining how NCSU is working to move
their reference services online.

12noon EST Sunday, January 14th
The Dark Side of the Web.  Barbara Quint, editor Searcher Magazine.  Barbara
will take a look at what virtual reference and the emergence of the Web may
mean for librarians and for the profession.  Who are the likely winners and
losers, and what will we have to do to hold on to our jobs and insure our
position in this brave new world?

2pm EST Sunday, January 14th
Traditional vs. Online Reference Services, What's the Difference?  Anne
Lipow, Library Solutions Institute and Press.   Anne Lipow, well-known
author and speaker on reference issues will take a close look at the
differences and similarities between doing reference at a traditional
reference desk and doing it online.  Anne has just finished the first
Virtual Reference Manual (a preliminary edition will be available at ALA) so
she has had a lot of opportunity to consider these issues over the past few
months.

4pm EST Sunday, January 14th
Marketing Virtual Reference Services.  Linda Wallace.  Repeat of Linda's
program on Saturday, marketing is one of the most critical issues for any
virtual reference service ... and you can't cover it enough.