proxy v. proxy

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Mon Jan 22 15:38:15 EST 2001

We are using, and are extremely happy with EZproxy.  It's technically a
URL rewriter rather than a proxy server per se.

For those of our databases that have IP filtered access, we have
embedded the EZproxy URL into the URL for the database.  EZproxy checks
if the incoming request comes from an on-campus or off-campus IP.  If
it's on-campus, the user is sent directly to the site.  If not, the user
is prompted to log in with their library barcode.  (Other EZproxy users
use different authentication schemes.)

We've had very few problems with it, and most of those problems have
been minor.  There's an EZproxy email discussion list:
ezproxy at ls.suny.edu
Subscribe through this address: lyris at ls.suny.edu

Hope this helps,
Stacy