[WEB4LIB] RE: Linking journal databases to the periodical

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Jan 19 23:48:18 EST 2001

At 4:58 PM -0800 1/19/01, George Porter wrote:
>The burden on the database vendor, in this example ISI, is to construct
>OpenURLs and to build a mechanism for recognizing which users should get
>OpenURLs.  One way to do this, proposed by ExLibris, is to build a "cookie
>pusher" <http://sfx1.exlibris-usa.com/openurl/cookiepusher.html> to provide
>the context to bring each database user the options chosen for them by their
>librarian.  The cookie includes the location of the appropriate SFX server
>for a given database user.

Another way to do this, is the so-called "central-site redirection"
mechanism which we implemented in LinkBaton
http://my.linkbaton.com/jvip/00954403/20/3/22/1994 (the same Roy
Tennant article)

Anyway, the important thing is to start building link servers.

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure
LinkBaton: Your Links that Learn     http://my.linkbaton.com/