[WEB4LIB] Re: An Informal ColdFusion Survey

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Jan 18 19:55:10 EST 2001

RW> Just a quick comment: you should probably consider looking at the 'open'
RW> PHP as a more progressive alternative to the proprietary Cold Fusion.
RW> PHP is 'cross-platform friendly' to the best of my knowledge, and just
RW> surpassed the 'being used on 5 million websites' mark quite recently.

Nothing against PHP or other open source solutions.  However, CF is
well documented, well supported, and has solid training available for
a fee.  It doesn't completely ignore the "open source" world, as a
great many custom tags have been written for CF by users, and made
available for others to use.

In many environments it is better to spend a little money on a
commercial product rather than putting all your eggs into a basket
supported by everybody and nobody.

And, yes, we use both commercial and open source software, plus
shareware (paid for, of course), postcardware, etc.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA