any wireless network users out there?

Carrie Phillips phillipsc at bluffton.edu
Fri Jan 12 15:57:18 EST 2001

Greetings!

I would like to communicate with anyone currently using wireless networking
in their libraries.  We are working on a connectivity plan to add network
connections to our building, and wireless is one avenue we're pursuing.

Specifically, we're wondering about these questions:

- What hardware is involved?
- How and where is it installed?
- How must a patron's laptop be equipped in order to connect to this type of
network?
- Are there limitations to the number of connections (beyond what the
building's hub(s) can handle)
- What causes interference?
- What is the min/max range (distance) between devices?
- How reliable is the wireless connection?
- What electricity access needs should we consider (we've got an older
building where I'm sure we'll need additional outlets...)

You can contact me directly at phillipsc at bluffton.edu.  Thanks for your
help!
--
Carrie Phillips
Computer Technician/ILL Assistant/O-PCIRC
phillipsc at bluffton.edu