The Eclectic Journal

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat Jan 13 17:42:40 EST 2001

                                _The Eclectic Journal_

       Based upon a review of E-journals for my new Web registry, EJI(sm)

       [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ],

I have concluded that the present-day "Electronic Journal" is evolving to become what I call "The Eclectic Journal".

    By the "Eclectic Journal", I mean a Web-based resource that at its core provides access to e-journals that offer not only access to the conventional content of a digital form of a journal  but also provides or permits interaction with novel and innovative _features and functionalities_  (e.g., reference linking, cross-publisher searching, page customization, open peer review, etc.) _AND_ novel and innovative _content_ (e.g., e-Books, pre-publication history, electronic discussions, translation services, e-prints, bibliographic databases, etc.)

[SEE EJI(sm) for _several_ more types of various novel and innovative features, functionalities, and content_ as well as dozens of specific examples overall]

   Such features, functionalities and content may be integrated  _within_ the e-journal proper or made accessible from  the  main resource.

   Sites that  I would consider excellent  examples of  the "Eclectic Journals" are

   BMJ [British Medical Journal]  [  http://www.bmj.com/]
     This Electric Journal provides access to a bibliographic databases (i,e., Medline), e-prints, reader commentary, reorganized journal content (Collected  Resources), pre-publication history, etc.] [Free registration required [?]

   The Technical Library of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers
(ASAE) [  http://asae.frymulti.com/ ]

      This Eclectic Journal allows concurrent searching of the
various ASAE publications, notably journal, conference proceedings, standards, technical books, and technical meetings)

     As source material for a review I am preparing on the "The Once and Future Journal" for a special issue of  _The Serials Librarian_
[  http://web.mit.edu/waynej/www/e-access.htm], I am greatly interested in identifying Any and All  _RECENT_ literature that discusses this publishing phenomena. [I am aware of much of the major and minor works about the 'Electronic Journal' published within the past 50 years]

Recently, I identified two highly-relevant articles that support my observations about e-journal evolution:

   1- Cox, John. 2000. "The Journal as a provider of community services,"
__The Serials Librarian_ 38(1/2): 199-209

and

  2. Anderson, Kent. 2001. "The Mutant journal: how adaptations to online forces are forcing STM journals to mutate,"  _Learned Publishing 14(1) 15-22.
[ http://cherubino.catchword.com/vl=71902383/cl=2/nw=1/rpsv/catchword/alpsp/09531513/v14n1/s3/p15 ]

[This article offers a *very* interesting perspective on e-journal evolution!]
[Thanks Garrett Eastman from the Rowland Institute, Cambridge, MA for this reference]

  I am also interested in learning of any _additional_ Eclectic Journal features, functionalities and/or content that I have _not yet_ established in
EJI(sm) [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm]

  As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, critiques, queries, cosmic insights, etc. etc. etc. are Most Welcome.

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Eclectic Librarian
Iowa State University