Patron Access Computer Security

Tasmin R. Nyaforh tnyaforh at lawrence.lib.ks.us
Wed Jan 31 18:13:54 EST 2001

I know that there has been a discussion before on patron access security
but my colleague and I are pulling our hair out trying to find a suitable
solution with the minimal of fuss.

We currently have 5 Internet Stations and 2 WordProcessors that we are
trying to protect from unwanted tinkering.  We are using Full control, but
it has been bogging down our machines and they don't run very
effectively.  We are alternately thinking about switching to Deep
Freeze.  Tested it and I think it works great.  Is there something that we
can do in addition (with Deep Freeze) that will hid icons on the desktop
(network neighborhood, my computer) that will stop the even most tempted of
patrons from fooling around.

Thanks in advance

trn

Tasmin R. Nyaforh