[WEB4LIB] Netscape -- open automatically after timeout?

Hambleton, John S. jhamblet at nmu.edu
Tue Jan 16 12:21:27 EST 2001

Try:
.bat program that is a loop, continually issueing the
command "start /w c:\progra~1\netscape\programs\netscape.exe"
You could then modify c:\windows\system.ini  such that
instead of using explorer.exe for the shell (normal) you use that
.bat file instead:
;shell=Explorer.exe
shell=c:\windows\startup.bat

To hide the window for "startup.bat" there is a shareware
program on the web someplace called "hideit.exe"
If your batch file that is in a loop has its window hidden
from the user, they can't terminate it.

JH

At 06:32 AM 1/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>I am writing to ask for your help in identifying a method that will
>prevent users of public PC workstations from exiting Netscape or (even
>better for privacy and security reasons) that will automatically open a
>new Netscape session after the previous user closes the program.  We
>find that many of our patrons close Netscape when they finish their
>sessions,  leaving the monitor screen at the Windows desktop (which for
>our PCs is just a plain green screen.)  We would like to find a way for
>the PC to automatically bring back Netscape after a brief interval and
>route it to our Library's home page.  We think this would be more
>welcoming and convenient for the next user. Any insights or suggestions
>you can offer will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jill Brophy
>Lorain County Community College