PDF files and browsers

Eric_Wees at pch.gc.ca Eric_Wees at pch.gc.ca
Tue Jan 16 09:48:12 EST 2001

I have noticed over time that sometimes a PDF file launched from a web site will
open in the browser window and sometimes Acrobat Reader will launch separately
to display the document.  I've been sort of peripherally aware of this happening
and have not taken systematic note of where and when it occurs, which is hard to
follow anyway given PC and software upgrades and my moving about between my own
workstation and the Ref desk.  Can someone enlighten me as to whether this is
determined by a browser preference setting that I have yet to discover, a
Windows setting, or can the creators of a PDF file fashion it in such a way to
determine how it will launch?  The practical issue is that I occasionally want
to save a PDF file to disk which I can't do from Reader.  I have worked around
it by grabbing it out of the Windows Temp folder.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Eric Wees
Department of Canadian Heritage Library
15 Eddy St., Rm. 15-2-B
Hull (Québec)   Canada K1A 0M5