[WEB4LIB] Live help no longer free from WebHelp.com??

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Tue Jan 16 05:56:40 EST 2001

The business sections are full of headlines describing free Internet services going by the wayside or trying to charge.  In essence, these free services were paid for out of capital generated by years of irrational exuberance, which was largely deflated with the collapse of dot com stocks this past year.

Hoover's reports that Webhelp.com in 1999 had 58 employees and net income of minus $4.9 million.  It looks like they filed for an IPO in 2000 but are still privately held (based in Toronto).

It couldn't last forever.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon's legendary service quality slip.  I sure wouldn't expect a private sector, human-staffed reference service to last for free.  People are expensive.

/rich