Web Log Analysis

Maribeth Manoff manoff at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:53:52 EST 2001

Hello All,

I am working on doing something with the logs generated by our Web
server (something other than deleting them, that is :)  I found some
good information in the list archives on Web log analysis software, as
well as a good article in Online magazine on this topic.  I downloaded a
trial version of WebTrends Log Analysis software, and got it to work
with our logs.  What I don't have a good sense of, though, is what is
the information that I really want or need?  I plan to talk to other
librarians here to get their input, and I would like to ask for your
assistance also.  If you have the time, could you reply to me (I will
happily summarize for the list) with answers to the following questions:

1)  What types of statistics are you collecting on your library Web site
usage?

2)  What software are you using to collect these statistics?

Thanks very much,
Maribeth
Maribeth Manoff
Coordinator for Networked Service Integration
647 Hodges Library               mmanoff at utk.edu
The University of Tennessee      voice: 865-974-2876
Knoxville, TN 37996-1000         fax: 865-974-0626