[WEB4LIB] One AOL user appearing as many?

Chris Deweese chrisd at lcls.org
Thu Jan 11 13:34:21 EST 2001

I run a webserver from my house using Internet Information Server 5 and also here at the Lewis and Clark Library System we use Internet Information Server 4.  In all weblogs that I read, users from AOL will appear to be coming from up to 8 IP Address.  Large scale ISP's implement huge numbers of proxy servers that cache webpages viewed by all users of that ISP.  But for some reason it appears that AOL users get pieces of webpages from several different proxy servers.  This is rather frustrating and disturbing to someone like me, who on top of being a Webmaster is also an avid "Security buff".

I watch my servers very closely (my home one for sure) and I have not noticed any truly suspicious activity other than the multiple proxy address from the AOL.com domain.

Hope this helps

Chris Deweese
Lewis and Clark Library System
www.lcls.lib.il.us