One AOL user appearing as many?

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Thu Jan 11 11:30:26 EST 2001

Our Innovative WebPAC has a limited number of logins.  We rarely run out,
but several times yesterday we did, and the culprit appeared to be multiple
users from IP addresses which resolved to some variation of the following
hostnames:
         cache-mtc-ag06.proxy.aol.com
         spider-mtc-tf021.proxy.aol.com

I think it unlikely that ten different AOL users were hitting the server
simultaneously.

An Innovative Users Group list member made the following observation:
>As I understand it from some web log reporting software documentation, each
>piece of a single web page may be gotten by a different AOL server, seeming
>to the web server like 6 or 8 different users.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Bob Duncan

   Robert E. Duncan