Web-based message boards vs. email discussion groups

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Wed Feb 28 18:22:22 EST 2001

Still smarting from the imminent loss of a non-library related, web-based message board from a free hosting service (InsideTheWeb), I've been playing around this week with some open source/free web based message board software. The ones I've actually installed and looked at are YaBB and Discus. I haven't installed but have looked at the PHP-based Phorum package.
YaBB, with its subscriber avatars, icons, IRC and Instant Messaging links, looked too trendy for my taste. Discus, however, I'm very impressed with.
So the question is this: a large, disperse organization like the Ramapo Catskill Library System has need for dozens of dicussion groups for our various internal staff populations, committees, user groups, etc. What are the arguments for and against using web-based message board software as opposed to email based listservs? (We're already past the one machine/email client issue, since we're using a web-based email package, Imail).
Links:
http://www.yabb.org/
http://www.discusware.com
http://www.phorum.org/