[WEB4LIB] one size for all? What I learned.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:27:58 EST 2001

> Conclusion:
>
> Writing pages that will work on all types of browsers is still more of
an
> art than a science,

IMO, this depends on the definition you have of a page "working."  For me,
the lesson of cross-browser compatibility is letting go of fixed notions
of exactly how a page should look.  If you get over this hurdle, decent
compatibility becomes a piece of cake.  Icing that cake is a matter of
gently putting back formatting suggestions with an eye toward bug
compatibility with a couple of noted offenders.

F'rinstance, I never heard in this discussion why the table needed to be a
certain width at all, or even why the page needed a table.  Perhaps that's
where the compatibility and window width discussions need to start.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu