[WEB4LIB] RE: problem with IE5

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 27 22:31:51 EST 2001

Actually, Bob Sullivan posted the fix to this problem way back when at his
help page here:

http://www.scpl.org/publicnt/

and on Web4Lib here:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0002/0382.html

The conflict is caused by how Windows and IE handle the NoRun key.  It
changed from version to version of IE.  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q179/2/21.ASP

Because of the integration with Windows, locking down RUN in Windows
caused the problem that you reported in IE 5.  This problem was fixed in
IE 5.5 and according to the KB article you mentioned:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q250/9/15.ASP

it can also be fixed by installing SP1 for IE 5.01.  So, either installing
Bob's patch file or SP1 for IE 5.01 should fix your problem.

SP1 is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/ie501sp1.htm

Good luck!

Andrew Mutch