Monitor Resolutions

Christopher LeBlanc leblanc at ALMARK.lamar.edu
Tue Feb 27 12:23:06 EST 2001

First, I will say that my assumption of 640x480 being >75% is definitely
inflated and is based on figures from a while ago.  I will stand by the
statement that 640x480 makes up close to 50% of the total browsers out
there.

On that note, John Hubbard pointed out to me, via:

http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/monitorres.html
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/January/res.html

that according to their surveys, that 640x480 only make up just under 7%
of all monitors.  I am concerned about their findings and whether or not
these are typical of library visitors.

Walt Crawford also pointed out that entry-level PC's from the big
manufacturers all come with 17" monitors default, with 15" monitors only
being $60-$70 cheaper.  It turns out that this only true for Home/Home
Office/Student systems.  Small Business, Large Business and Educational
systems start out with 15" and is about $100 more for the 17", the only
exception to this is when you choose the high-end systems and then they
start with either a 17" or 19".

Also, let us not forget the laptop and flat-panel screen crowd.  Most
laptops max out at 12" viewable, with most flat-panels in the 14"
viewable (15" physical) size.  Even though a 14" or 15" screen can
display at 800x600, or more, not a lot of people would like it too much.

The one thing I would like to see added to TABLES is the option for
maximum width.  This way you could optimize for 800 pixels wide, but if
they have 640, then it would let it resize down.

Enough of my ranting,

Christopher LeBlanc
Lamar University Library
Beaumont, Texas