[WEB4LIB] Automated Web server monitoring

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Fri Feb 23 09:37:12 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Reference Librarian wrote:
>Is there an automated method for gathering data on Web site downtime or
>"busy signals?" We're searching for a way to know if our Web site becomes
>unavailable while we're not looking, whether through an unplanned outage or
>through inadequate server capability, and whether our site is hosted on our
>own network or by an outside provider. Please send pointers to products, Web
>sites, articles you've found helpful, and I can summarize to the list.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Melissa J. Brenneman
>Reference Librarian
>Knox County Public Library System
>500 West Church
>Knoxville, TN  37902                            865-215-8723

Melissa,

I use a product called Big Brother to monitor many things on my system,
such as http, smtp, connectivity, disk space, cpu load, and just recently,
added local weather forcasts.

It is fairly easy to use, and can be set up to check your system and their
subsystems at pre-defined intervals.  The title and background color of
its primary page (red, yellow, green, purple) gives you an instant
overview of all systems monitored, and zeroing in on a failing / failed /
missing system is 1 click away.  I have also installed a windows system
tray program that watches the main page, without having to have a web
browser open, which frees up a lot of my PC's resources.

You may think this is overkill, but the first time it reports on something
you don't typically all day long (eg, smtp server), you'll be happy!

The main program is available at bb4.com .
Enhancements are available at www.deadcat.net

I find this *extremely* useful.

James