Hosts file limiting email questions

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Fri Feb 16 10:09:32 EST 2001

I'm going to try to implement the hosts file solution to blocking webmail
and chat on our public workstations.  I'm mostly working from Eric Schnell's
web site:
http://bones.med.ohio-state.edu/eric/email.html

I'm starting with the little hosts file he uses and modifying it.  I've also
taken the blacklist that Dan Lester put up on the web and have sorted out
all addresses containing the strings "mail" or "chat".  However, that leaves
me with a very long list of sites.  Will it slow things down if the
hosts.sam file is long?
(Dan's list is at http://www.riverofdata.com/tools/blacklist.htm )

Second question, can it stop part of a site, like go.msn.com/mail/, but not
go.msn.com  (Not a working example, but that's the idea).

Thanks to Dan and Eric!

I'm thinking of monitoring a workstation with WinGuardian to try to find
other sites our students are using, but I have to take Deep Freeze off
whichever station I do that with.

We've got lots of Japanese students who used to use Xoom, which seems to be
Nbci.com now.  I can't figure out how to block that without blocking all of
nbci.com?

Does anyone else want to share their blocking lists?

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College
Jschult at elmira.edu