AAP and librarians article

Debra Shapiro dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 9 16:01:03 EST 2001

Umm, excuse me, at the risk of being redundant, since (see below)
Tony Barry has already mentioned the Open Archives Initiative, no way
Roy was talking about the NetLibrary e-book model as the way for
libraries to steal publishers' business. (although of the companies
offering e-books NetLibrary IS the only who has figured out that it
is a way better idea for them to deal with thousands of libraries,
who will pay them, than with millions of consumers, who will not...)

Roy is talking about ways for academic libraries and scholars to do
an end run around publishers, doing their own publishing, like ARL's
SPARC
http://www.arl.org/sparc/home/

Or the Open Archives Intiative,
http://www.openarchives.org/

which is really a metadata initiative at the moment but has the
potential to eventually create something like a scholars' portal,
access to scholarly research being done on university campuses, or
other scholars' portal type initiatives, University of California has
something called SCAN (I think)
Scholarship From California on the Net
http://www.ucpress.edu/scan/

We always were doing business with ourselves and paying a tax to publishers!

regards,
debra

Leo Robert Klein <leo_klein at baruch.cuny.edu>

dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu