[WEB4LIB] Z39.50

Ed Veal EVeal at mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us
Fri Feb 9 10:02:04 EST 2001

I disagree. Because of our Internet access policy we can not give our patrons full access to the web on our OPAC's. Z39.50 allows us to provide access to many catalogs, Texas Tech for one, that we other wise could not.
Ed

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ed Veal
Technologies Assistant, Web Master
Lubbock City-County Library
Technical Services
email: eveal at mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us
voce: 806-775-2849
fax: 806-775-2827
http://library.ci.lubbock.tx.us

>>> "Kitty Au" <aukitty at hotmail.com> 02/09/01 07:51AM >>>
I heard one comment today --- "Z39.50, as a search and retrieval protocol
used widely among library OPACs, is dying".  I was taken aback.  But, to
keep my mind open, I would like to ask for your comments on this.  If you do
agree to this, what is the emerging standard?

Thanks in advance.

Kitty Au