[WEB4LIB] Network security and ICMP

David Lewis lewisd at sunytccc.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:03:49 EST 2001

Our campus did the same thing about a year ago.  Our IT manager was happy to poke my office machine through the firewall for outgoing ICMP commands.  They actually poked 3 of us from the library through so we could be more helpful to them in diagnosing network slowness.  It was easy to do by ip address.

David Lewis
Tompkins Cortland Community College Library
P.O. Box 139
170 North Street
Dryden  NY  13053-0139
Tel:   607-844-8211  x4387
Fax:    607-844-6540
lewisd at sunytccc.edu

>>> Stacy Pober <spober at manhattan.edu> 02/08 5:47 PM >>>
The computer center at our college recently changed the college's
firewall settings so that ICMP commands such as Ping and Traceroute
cannot be sent OUT from our campus.

I understand why a site might want to block incoming ICMP.  Some sites
do this to prevent denial-of-service attacks that are done with a flood
of ping requests.  But I'm baffled as to how our security is enhanced by
blocking OUTGOING pings and traceroutes.  And since I use these
protocols for helping to diagnose specific problems, I'm trying to
figure out if this setting is necessary or just over-cautious on the
part of our IT people.

Is outgoing ping and traceroute a threat to a site?  Is blocking this
routine?  I don't know how other campuses are set up with regard to
their firewall and security measures.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist