[WEB4LIB] RE: Google and PDF

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Thu Feb 8 09:15:02 EST 2001

> Hey, Danny, didn't know you were lurking here.  :-)

Always reading -- one of my favorite lists.

> To me, this falls into the category of "Gee, it might be useful even if
it's not in the headlines of Business 2.0 or  Internet.com."  A substantial
fraction of the content on the Web is PDF.  AltaVista has long since had
tools to index PDF.  So why not do it?  Instead, they concentrate on
bragging about things such as "Find an MP3".

Yes, absolutely -- I think it is very useful and wish all the other services
would do it, as well. I was just saying that they COULD have done what
Google is doing long ago. They simply didn't have an interest, probably
because they thought there was more value after going after things like MP3
and multimedia search or simply not thinking it worth the time at all.

I'm very glad to see Google have this. It's just another reason why it has
become an excellent search resource.

cheers,
danny