[WEB4LIB] AAP and librarians article

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:43:30 EST 2001

Just like us, publishers are too busy tripping over the track to see
the train that will run them over. They fear libraries for the wrong
reason, and they don't fear the public enough.

First libraries. Libraries are actually bastions of conservatism when
it comes to the law. Librarians fall all over themselves trying to
adhere to copyright law. I can't begin to tell you how many times
librarians have asked me about copyright issues with fear in their
eyes -- fear that they might somehow inadvertently do something that
would get them or their institution hauled into court. We're all a
bunch of ninnies.

What publishers *should* fear us for is stealing their business right
out from under them. In academe, we have the goods - the faculty who
write and publish. If we can get our act together and start retaining
this output in the university by publishing it ourselves (online, for
free), the commercial publisher has been cut out of the equation. Is
this happening? You bet it is. Will it grow to the point of putting
Elsevier out of business? Who knows. But if I were them, *that's*
what I would fear about libraries.

Now for the public. We all saw what happened with Napster. Do
publishers honestly think they are immune from this? The problem here
is so patently obvious I don't want to waste anyone's time explaining
it.

So yes, publishers should be running scared - very scared. But first
they should figure out what they should be running from.
Roy Tennant