[WEB4LIB] RE: AAP and librarians article

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Wed Feb 7 10:12:53 EST 2001

Not too surprising.  Integrity is difficult to find.  This is not a question
of who is intelligent.  Just what people will do for money.  Look at Jack
Valenti.  It would be difficult to imagine what he would not do for his
clients.

But this issue is a close one and intelligent people can have different
opinions.

My opinion is that laws should have some reasonable hope that they can be
enforced.  With scanning and OCR and data technology advancing so fast, one
can expect a very new copyright law in the future. The current law will be
one that can not be enforced.  The new law will be different.   I expect
that they will protect new material for as long as they can and let the
older stuff pass into the public domain.  If anyone can predict the time
frame for this (weeks or days or months) they may get rich.  But if we look
at movies with a process of first run, pay per view, cable, and video tape
in the process then home broadcast, we can get an idea of how it will look.

People who present one side of an issue that has divided us, take the risk
of some attack.  Better we attack the message and not the person.

Regards,

Gary

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)