[WEB4LIB] Help, please! IE oddity

Araby Greene araby at unr.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:51:04 EST 2001

Sometimes, when you drag table borders around a lot in FP, the table cell
sizes eventually do not add up. Highlight the 4 cells that are giving you
problems and uncheck specifiy size and specify height. The cells should
"sprong" into place. Then drag the center cell border to match the other
tables, to force a pixel width, rather than the default 50%. Widths of 277
and 343 look about right, if you want to edit the code. The left cells in
the concatenated table contain <p align="left"> tags, so they aren't
centered, even though <td align="center"> is present.

When the cell dimensions don't compute, NS and IE usually handle the
discrepancies differently. IE will sometimes squish the contents to the
specified cell size and render the borders to fit the overall dimensions. An
errant height tag will also cause a lot of problems.

<grr>Are you not allowed to download and install the browser of your choice?
If not, I'd scream to the director. If you're developing web pages, you need
to have several browsers available for testing.</grr>

Hope this helps.

-araby

Araby Greene
Web Development Librarian