[WEB4LIB] Re: technology news sources

Hambleton, John S. jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:09:09 EST 2001

I recently signed up to join "TechRepublic". I like it.
So far I get a monthly bulletin suitable for putting in a
3 ring binder--it gives you all sorts of good information on
Windows 9x, NT, 2000.
Plus I get stuff like: Vi (UNIX editor) command cheat sheets
that save you from having to look up arcane Vi commands.
And more.
JH

At 04:33 PM 1/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>It is frustrating how the IT press tends to cover the money aspects and to
lose
> the technology aspects.  I subscribe to the ZDNET Anchordesk mentioned
below,
> but to me the reporting style and the "teases" are often more sophomoric
than
> local TV news -- and that's not a compliment.  "The Top Five Reasons Why You
> Have to Have Wireless" and such.
>
>Lately I've been impressed with ACM Technews. It's roughly analogous to
Salon's
> summary of the front page of major daily newspapers for AvantGo subscribers.
> You get capsule summaries and can follow hyperlinks to the full text in
> whatever publication (e.g. NY Times, Washington Post, various Net media
> outlets).
>
>Technews comes out 3 times per week.  Subscribe here:
>
>http://www.acm.org/technews/
>
>Here are recent headlines:
>
>ACM TechNews
>Volume 3, Number 158
>Date: January 29, 2001
>
>Top Stories for Monday, January 29, 2001:
>http://www.acm.org/technews/current/homepage.html
>"Unions Address High-Tech Workers"
>"Tech Industry in Turmoil Gets a New Top Lobbyist"
>"The Odyssey of a Hacker: From Outlaw to Consultant"
>"Contracting Grows in Popularity as Option for Out-of-Work Techies"
>"Software Companies Rise Above Tech Pessimism"
>"Companies' Spending on Communications Is Seen Rising 10 Percent"
>"Congress Opens Debate on Online Privacy"
>"New ICANN President: Learning, Listening Are Top Priorities"
>"Intranets Nurture Companies From the Inside"
>"U.S. Senate Reintroduces Permanent R&D Tax Credit"
>"Study: E-Business Is Top Concern for CEOs"
>"Report Outlines Path to Secure E-Government"
>"Union Leader Targets Tech Industry"
>"Standardizing Linux--It's a Good Thing"
>"Bush Expected to Rattle Federal IT"
>"IT Industry Opposes Impending Ergonomics Rules"
>"Clues to Bush's High-Tech Plans"
>"California Energy Woes Affecting High-Tech"
>"With Accessibility for All"
>
>******************* News Stories ***********************
>
>"Unions Address High-Tech Workers"
>Organized labor is meeting with a variety of challenges as it
>tries to form unions in the high-tech industry.  One reason, says
>Microsoft's Dan Leach, is because high-tech workers generally
>have an entrepreneurial spirit that does not correspond well with . . .
>http://www.acm.org/technews/articles/2001-3/0129m.html#item1
>
>"Tech Industry in Turmoil Gets a New Top Lobbyist"
>The tech-industry lobbying organization TechNet has named Rick

+ John S. "Dilbert" Hambleton
+ Computer Scientist and Eccentric
+ Olson Library
+ Northern Michigan University