[WEB4LIB] next big thing..more

Samuel Mcdonald smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:22:37 EST 2001

whoa!  brain-on-overdrive!

now that I think about it, the way to do something like these DVD's would
be
to have about 250MB+ of re-writable space on the disc with all the
apps/helper to run and view the data.  There would be a meta-data track
where the OS would say I am x, if x is on the disc then you are business.
if x is not on the disc there is a PURL where it can get the right files.
and then it writes it to that disc.  If you run out of space it asks
'purge which of 5 installation/os packages'.  the re-writable part would
take care of ini's etc (so you don't have those clumsy installs), and be
usable most everywhere..semi-system independent.  the material on the disc
would have to xml-ish...images and streaming media might be a bit
tough...perhaps if you left enough free space the updates could be
auto-grabbed from the net and added as well.  perhaps one could use that
space for some sort of personal key (for copyright etc) as well and maybe
a place to store notes, bookmarks etc.

or, even more...maybe you could have your own customized librarian/search
thing in animation/audio..that has pseudo AI so it learns what you
want...so you could almost ask for 'that red book on the third floor by
some named like 'Wiley' that I saw last week'...if it was smart enough it
might even tell you 'if you liked that..try this' AND if you hooked that
up to the net like these CD-ROM sites then maybe you could have a
Google-like thing....12,000 people like you liked this as well...and
perhaps their semantic webs (Xanadu/Vanevar Bush anyone?) could be shared
as well(anonymously?)...maybe you could train it to be pro-active..to suck
down new stuff like x...and then push it to you...MyLibrary-on-a-disc

ok, so that was a jumbled stream-of-consciousness...now someone will
probably make a zillion bucks off it.  So I claim it just for funsies..it
is now published though not yet patented.

Fun eh?

-Sam

Samuel J. McDonald                                smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Webmaster                              http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/
Rutgers University Libraries                        Voice (732) 932-7505
Alexander Library, 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163