[WEB4LIB] Monster.com ad

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Feb 20 09:42:05 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenny Levine" <levinej at sls.lib.il.us>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 12:23 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Monster.com ad

> There's a silly new type of ad vying for your attention now.
Monster.com has
> implemented an animated "monster" that walks across your screen and says
"You
> the monster" before disappearing into a standard banner ad in the
corner.  It
> makes the Web seem even more like television (sigh).  You can see it at
> http://www.lycos.com/computers/, but make sure you're watching because I
can
> only get it to appear once without monkeying with my browser settings (a
good
> thing).  It's called a "shoshkele" and a little more info is availabe at
> http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/daily/02/021601/animated_ads.html.
> If only they used their powers for good instead of evil (why can't it
say
> something useful??)....

The people responsible--if that's the correct word--are United States of
America, Inc., which you can plainly tell is an advertising agency in
Argentina.  There's a demo gallery at
<URL:http://www.unitedsitesofamerica.com/pages/gallery.htm>.

animations" are simply shockwave animations, placed on the page with CSS
absolute positioning.

Yet another reason to uninstall shockwave, imo.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu