[WEB4LIB] Reader-Designated HyperLinking In/Between/Among E-Journals

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Sun Feb 11 00:00:05 EST 2001

Vannevar Bush pioneered the notion of user-defined links -- only he called them "trails" -- and he came up with the notion in the 1940s.  His essay "As We May Think" is a remarkable vision for its time.  He describes a photo-mechanical device, a sort of machine in a desktop that could eat all the documents you could feed it, indexing the material, but more importantly recording all the associations -- the trails -- that a user creates while navigating the material.

The PC and the Web are still a long, long way from that vision.

His 1945 article a joy to read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/computer/bushf.htm

Some related pieces on computer visionaries...

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/computer/tech.htm

Bush was a remarkable scientist and FDR's science advisor, probably the single most important person in the creation of the National Science Foundation.  Bush is at least as important as Ted Nelson in the history of hypertext... The Kazmierski piece you mention does cover Bush before Nelson.

/rich