[WEB4LIB] Dropdowns, Rollovers and Accessibility

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:11:22 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Robbins" <erobbins at nslsilus.org>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 4:52 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Dropdowns, Rollovers and Accessibility

> We are currently redesigning our library's site, and want to make sure
that
> it is as accessible as possible. Does anybody have information on
whether
> the use of rollovers and dropdowns impede usage for the visually
impaired?

A good, quick and dirty test is to disable JavaScript in your browser.
Can you still use the page? After that, put the mouse away and use the
keyboard only, or get a copy of Lynx from <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>
and see if your pages can be used.

There's no absolute answer to your question.  You need to read
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/#gl-new-technologie
s> (assuming you accept that as your guidelines for accessibility) and
determine for yourself if you meet at least this priority 1 checkpoint:

"Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other programmatic
objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not possible, provide
equivalent information on an alternative accessible page."  (Hint: assume
this is possible.  Don't cop out with a "Text Only" page unless you
really, *really* have to.  REALLY.)

Some really quick pointers.  Always use valid URLs as hrefs; avoid "<a
href='javascript...'>".  This is simply broken for any JavaScript-disabled
browser.  Make sure there are alternate paths to any link that appears
only in response to an onmouse* event.  Make sure all forms have an action
and a submit button.

Just by asking the question, you are way ahead of the game.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu