Less is More! Re: Reader-Designated HyperLinking In/Between/Among E-Journals

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Tue Feb 13 12:34:28 EST 2001

Gerry,

Permit me to make a devil's advocate comment on your endeavors, which
I find really interesting and worthwhile.

There are two things that e-journals can do with technology. They can
make publishing cheaper, or they can add functions. I would argue
that the best way to add function is to do one function very
efficiently, and through open standards allow other generic
technologies and organizations to layer on added functionality.

Thus, because free-to-read, pay-to-publish journals such as MRS
Internet Journal of Nitride Semiconductor Research
(http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/)  put little or no effort into things like
annotation or self-organization, they can be freely available for
annotation at sites such as thirdvoice (http://www.thirdvoice.com),
and re-organized at bookmark sites like backflip
(http://www.backflip.com).

Similarly, I would argue that for a scientist, exposing an e-journal
to google (etc.) indexing adds more value at lower cost to an
e-journal than almost ANY of the innovative functions that you've
been cataloguing. It would be interesting to compile robot.txt files
from e-journals.

Less is More!

Eric

Eric Hellman