[WEB4LIB] Re: Magic Lantern

Andrea.Cheney at USPTO.GOV Andrea.Cheney at USPTO.GOV
Fri Dec 7 15:41:04 EST 2001

DOn't forget the charming peice of proposed legislation that would allow
music companies to hack into the pc's of any individual American whom they
(the music industry)feel have violated copyright by downloading music files.

Andrea Cheney
Electronic Resources Librarian
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Scientific and Technical Information Center
Information Access and Management Branch
2021 S. Clark Place
Crystal Plaza 3, Suite 2C06
Arlington, VA  22202
703-308-6099\fax: 3485
andrea.cheney at uspto.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us [mailto:dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 2:48 PM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Magic Lantern

    Hear hear! I was reading an article through Netscape yesterday that
Ashcroft
deemed the new anti-terror laws to be necessary and that critics who keep
bringing
up Constitutional rights are helping the terrorists. Quite frankly, Ashcroft
scares me. That man looks just a little too much like the cigarette smoking
man in
X-Files and his schemes are just as twisted. Once again, let's take a look
at the
update for the scoreboard on American freedoms... We have:

* 2600 DeCSS appeal: Lost

* EFF & Felten vs. RIAA: Thrown out

* Dimitry Skylarov: Free, but confined to Northern California for
"violating" a US
Law on Russian soil

* The FBI now has pretty much free reign to use Carnivore and Magic Lantern
as
they please, complete without search warrants

* Citizens can now be tried before military tribunals with no right to
attorney
client privilege

* Coders and scientists in America are now afraid to try publishing
information
and studies because of the DMCA.

* The manufacturer of the most prevalent computer operating system in the
world is
receiving concessions and settlements from the United States government. Now
it is
brought up that Magic Lantern seeks to invade computers illegally using the
security holes scattered throughout this operating system. It could be a
coincidence, but it's a very strange one.

    To be honest, personal liberty and right to privacy in America is
quickly
becoming a thing of the past. The government has said time and again that we
shall
not change our way of life because to do so would be conceding defeat to the
terrorists. Well, from the looks of it, the terrorists are winning.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson