checking GPO PURLs?

Luck, Deanne LuckDL at apsu.edu
Wed Dec 5 15:38:58 EST 2001

We've just added a large number of government web sites to our OPAC using
MARCIVE data.  The URLs are all PURLs (purl.access.gpo.gov).  Is there any
point to doing a link check on these?  I know the idea of PURLs is that
they'll always be correct, but out of the five-hundred-something we just
loaded I show 9 of the redirected URLs broken (I use CyberSpyder).  Does it
do me any good to have this information, since I can't change what the PURL
points to?  What if a site disappears altogether?

Thanks,
DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian
Austin Peay State University