[WEB4LIB] screenshot of video in RealPlayer and WMP

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Dec 20 15:04:19 EST 2001

At 12:33 PM 12/20/2001, cbsmall at radford.edu wrote:
>I have been struggling for weeks to get some screen shots of RealPlayer and
>WindowsMedia Player playing a video. With some videos, I have no problem. But
>other videos... failure again and again!  I have tried Snagit (v. 5.1 and
>v. 6)
>and Paint Shop Pro, but the same problem keeps occurring.  When I attempt the
>capture, I end up with a perfect image of the player, but the video viewing
>screen is blank.  Sometimes there will be speckled color dots in the screen.
>I've tried capturing as an object, as a window, and as a region.  I've tried
>capturing while the video is playing or while it is paused or stopped.  I've
>used the "DirectX" capture in Snagit 6 but that captures ONLY the video
>image,
>not the player.  I have e-mailed with Snagit support half a dozen times but
>nothing appears to work.  I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I can't speak for Real Player, but here's what works with WMP.

Fire up the media player and go to Tools/Options/Performance.  Set Hardware
Acceleration to None and click OK.  You may have to close the media player
and start it up again, but you should then be able to get screen captures
with Alt-PrintScreen or the capture utility of your choice.

Obviously, this can affect performance, and you may not want to keep that
as your regular setting.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu