Fwd: [WEB4LIB] DHTML alternatives to Javascript?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Dec 12 15:31:10 EST 2001

>Since there are those of you out there who have consciously turned off the
>Javascript engines in browsers - what alternative recommendations do you
>have for delivering a page with dynamic content?  With Javascript turned
>off we will make the assumption that Java has been disabled for similar
>reasons.

Look for dynamic page designs that continue working when client-side
scripting is turned off.

There are some things that can be done by both server- and client-side
scripting.  For those things, server-side gives you more predictability
over what actually gets sent to the user.

There are other things that can only be done on the server side, and still
other things that can only be done on the client side.  Interaction between
the user agent and the document have to happen on the client side; for
things like mouseovers, there's no communication with the server for a
server-side script to respond to.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu